Disclaimer

The website is targeted at investors qualifying as professional investors under MiFID (Directive 2004/39/EU) only. Retail investors are therefore kindly asked to leave this website.

The website and its content is not intended for US Persons, who are kindly asked to leave the website as well.

The content of the website is for information purposes only. The information does not constitute, and shall not be considered as, an offer or invitation to purchase or sell any of the products or services mentioned on the website. The information, calculations etc. on the website shall not be considered investment advice or requests to engage in investment operations.

All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure the correctness and accuracy of the information available through the website. However, the correctness and accuracy is not guaranteed and Carnegie Asset Management Fondsmaeglerselskab A/S accepts no liability for any errors, spelling mistakes or omissions. Neither is Carnegie Asset Management Fondsmaeglerselskab A/S responsible for the suitability of the information on or the content of the website. The information on the website may be amended by Carnegie Asset Management Fondsmaeglerselskab A/S at any time without notice.

The website and its content has been prepared in accordance with Danish law and the information provided may not satisfy the laws of any other country.

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.

By accepting, I confirm that I am a professional investor, and that I have understood the terms of use.

Leave
Accept
Carnegie WorldWide Top banner

THE CARNEGIE STORY

The History of Carnegie began when the Scottish nobleman George Carnegie was forced to flee from Scotland after the English had won the Battle at Culloden Moor in 1746.

After having hidden in the Scottish highlands he succeeded in escaping to Gothenburg (Sweden) where he founded a widespread trading business in 1758 and soon thereafter amassed a small fortune. George Carnegie’s son, David Carnegie, founded D. Carnegie & Co. which rapidly turned into the greatest trading business in Gothenburg, the most important merchandise being sugar and stout.

HandpaperDavid Carnegie even created a small society around his company: Housing for his workers, a school, a hospital, public baths and a church. The workers had privileges which at the time were extraordinary, such as free medical attention and medicine, a half day’s salary during illness and in order to “improve health" they received three porters a day!

In the beginning of the 20th century D. Carnegie & Co. was split up. The sugar production was sold to Svenska Sockerfabriks AB and the stout brewery to Pripp & Lyckholm.

In the 1930s the company bought a bank named Langeskiöld. The bank’s name was changed to Carnegie and during the following years the Group developed into a financial business primarily dealing with investments in securities.

In connection with the deregulation of the financial markets in the mid 1980s Carnegie expanded to the Nordic countries, southern Europe, Luxembourg, London and New York.

The company’s present strategy for the Nordic region was determined in 1994 when the English investment bank Singer & Friedlander bought 55% of the company from the former owner, Nordbanken, with Carnegie employees buying the remaining 45%. The activities in southern Europe were sold out and focus was directed at becoming the leading investment bank in Scandinavia.

After growing substantially throughout the 1990s Carnegie was listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange in the spring of 2001 under the name of D. Carnegie & Co. AB.

In the aftermath of the financial crisis in 2008, Carnegie Investment Bank AB reported large provisions related to credit engagements. Furthermore Carnegie Investment Bank AB received sanctions from a ruling by the Swedish FSA. The Swedish National Debt Office therefore took over the ownership of Carnegie Investment Bank AB.

In February 2009 the private equity company Altor and the investment company Bure acquired Carnegie Investment Bank AB from the Swedish National Debt Office.

At the end of 2009 Carnegie Asset Management was separated from Carnegie Investment Bank AB. Carnegie Asset Management was then fully owned by Altor Fund III (65%) and Bure Equities AB (35%).

At the end of 2010 employees bought approximately 20% of the shares in Carnegie Asset Management at a group level. In the spring of 2012 Bure Equity AB sold their shares to Altor Fund III, which now owns approximately 80% of the shares in Carnegie Asset Management at a group level.

 

We use cookies to analyze how visitors use our website. If you continue on the website, you agree that cookies are used for these purposes. Read more about our use of cookies, including how to opt out of cookies in our cookie policy.